Mar 23, 2007

America's First Spy... Movie

Variety reports that Warner Bros. has picked up the film rights to M. William Phelps' upcoming Nathan Hale biography For the Sake of Liberty: America's First Spy. The trade says, "In September 1776, Hale volunteered for an espionage assignment authorized by the country's first intelligence org, formed only a month earlier under George Washington's authority." Of course, any American with an elementary school knowledge of history knows how that turned out. Hale was hanged by the British with the famous last words, "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

Danica Radovanov, VP of production company Josephson Entertainment, says, "We want to do it as an exciting spy story." Sounds exciting to me! I'm all for spy movies in different historical settings, and Hale's story has fascinated me ever since I was little, when the drive to my kindergarten took me past teacher Hale's original schoolhouse in New London, Connecticut every morning.

No comments: