May 16, 2007

Jarvis Does Barry?

CommanderBond.net has posted a link with a headline that made my jaw drop and then made me curse aloud for not living in London: "Jarvis Cocker and John Barry Concert - 21 June 2007." Following the link, it seems the headline is a tad bit misleading; the actual billing is the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by frequent Barry orchestrator Nicholas Dodd and featuring "special guests" John Barry and Jarvis Cocker on a program of Barry music as part of the Meltdown festival. Still, that's two of my favorite musicians of all time, the definitive James Bond composer and the erstwhile Pulp frontman together! Cocker (with Pulp) has previously covered the Barry tune "All Time High" from Octopussy on the David Arnold-produced Bond tribute album "Shaken and Stirred," and Pulp wrote a title song for Tomorrow Never Dies which was rejected by the producers but later turned up as a B-side. Will he just be lending his vocals to "All Time High," or doing more? I'm sure Cocker could handle most of the John Barry songbook. I could certainly see him doing "Born Free" and "From Russia With Love," and I've no doubt he'd put a nice spin on "Thunderball." Plus, some of his own songs have a Barry sound to them. My mind boggles at the possibilities! I wish I could be there. Maybe there will be a live album of the concert? I can dream...

No comments: