Apr 19, 2007

Transporter 3 In 2008

Yes, I know the Transporter isn't really a spy; he's more of a... um... transporter... but these Jason Statham movies are essentially spy movies, and should appeal to the same audience, so I'm going to cover them here. The mostly disposable Transporter was basically the modern-day equivilant of a Eurospy movie, and the far superior Transporter 2 was the closest thing you're likely to see in theaters today to a Roger Moore Bond movie (silly, over-the-top stunts, ridiculous car chases, a gun-crazy, lingerie-wearing femme fatale, goofy humor and lots of fun). So, for those wondering, there's finally news on a third installment. Dark Horizons reports that producer Luc Besson told The Collider that he's aiming to shoot Transporter 3 in March and April of next year. Presumably that means a Fall 2008 release in the U.S., following the pattern of the first two. Having enjoyed the second movie immensely, I, for one, am looking forward to this! Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that director Louis Leterrier will return, since he has moved on to The Incredible Hulk. Perhaps his co-director on the first film (and martial arts choreographer on the second one) Corey Yuen will step in. He did an excellent job directing 2002's Hong Kong actioner So Close...

3 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

This is fantastic news. I am a huge fan of both of "The Transporter" movies. While I do think the second one is superior, I like the locale of the first one and his co-star (Shu Qi) better. I am really psyched to hear that there is a new one in the works. I'm a fan of Luc Besson. He's an awesome filmmaker in my book.

Tanner said...

Yeah, Shu Qi is certainly an asset to the first movie. Have you seen So Close? She's great in that (and great looking!), and it's directed by Transporter co-director Corey Yuen.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Yeah, I do think Shu Qi added a wonderful touch to the first movie. She's gorgeous for one thing. I have seen "So Close." I remember seeing it in my local video store after watching "The Transporter." I had to get it since I had loved her so much. She did do a great job in it. I'd love to see more of her work.