Jan 7, 2008

Cinema Retro Covers Deadlier Than The Male

The January issue of the stylish and glossy magazine Cinema Retro (whose publishers and contributors include such spy luminaries as Lee Pfeiffer and Ray-mond Benson) features a cover story on the great-est Bond knock-off film ever, Deadlier Than the Male, and its sequel Some Girls Do! The mag-azine's website promises new, exclusive interviews with stars Elke Sommer and Richard Johnson in a ten-page feature. I can't wait to get my hands on this! Deadlier Than the Male is a film worthy of a lot more attention than it's ever gotten, and I'm glad that someone is finally bothering to tell its story.

Click here to enter the latest Double O Section contest and win The Wild Wild West on DVD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Deadlier than the Male is my #1 favorite non-Bond 60s spy flick. It's got everything you could ask for, including gorgeous women, a strong villain, great music, international locations, great acting, and best of all, Richard Johnson, who could have easily filled Connery's shoes IMHO.

Tanner said...

I'd save ELKE for the "best of all," but other than that, agree 100%. I LOVE this movie!

I think it's something every Bond fan should see, and I wish it weren't so obscure on DVD. (At least it's ON DVD! For years I had only a grainy VHS bootleg to watch, and that widescreen DVD transfer was a revelation!) While it's true that DTM looks decidedly lower budget than Thunderball, that's because Bond was SO far ahead of everyone else. DTM actually looks much HIGHER budget than most of the Eurospy movies and other Bond knock-offs of the era. Johnson makes a great hero, and Elke Sommer and Sylva Koscina are a teriffic team of femmes fatales. The whole opening (which McG redid as the opening of the first Charlie's Angels movie) is great, as is the robotic chess board finale.