Dec 29, 2009

Tradecraft: Night & Fog Movie

Well, this isn't really spy news in the strictest sense (although there are eventually spies in the story, amidst monsters and Nazis and all sorts of other stuff), but today's Variety reports that the comic book I wrote has been optioned for a film, which is (on a personal level, anyway) cool enough news that it bears mentioning here!  Anyone who's poked around here a bit or clicked on my profile or corresponded with me probably knows that my real name is Matthew Bradford, and that I wrote a comic book last year along with Alex Leung called Night & Fog.  (No, nothing to do with the holocaust movie.)  Roberto Castro and Thomas Aira provided the wonderfully atmospheric artwork.  The trade, sadly, doesn't mention my name (or theirs), and it gets a detail from the press release wrong: the story is not set during WWII, although the catalyst for all the carnage is WWII-era Nazi experiments. They're right about the crucial details, though:
Producers Gil Adler and Shane McCarthy have optioned the sci-fi horror comicbook "Night and Fog" from publisher Studio 407.

No stranger to comicbook-based material, Adler has produced such graphic-based fare as Constantine, Superman Returns and the upcoming Brandon Routh starrer Dead of Night, which is based on the popular Italian title "Dylan Dog."
This has been in the works for a while now, and I'm glad it can finally be discussed!  The story is sort of Aliens meets Hammer movies (I even named a character Dr. Cushing), and it was a blast to write.  It will make a cool movie, so I hope (for this and other obvious reasons!) that this film actually comes to fruition.  In the meantime, pre-order the collected edition of the first four issues on Amazon and get a jump on future moviegoers!

12 comments:

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

OMG!!! Congratulations from me and Darren!
I hope it's more CONSTANTINE than SUPERMAN RETURNS!!! Either way, this news is full of win!

antony said...

Excellent news! Congrats, chap :)

Delmo said...

I'll second that motion!

Paul Bishop said...

Way cool, man! Great way to end this year and start the next!

night person said...

Congratulations, my friend! Well done! Here is to great things for you in 2010!

Sincerely,
Matthew B
Aka Solex Agitator

Christopher Mills said...

I was going to drop you a line about this yesterday. Congratulations!

I've had a few nibbles at my comics properties over the years, but no one ever actually went so far as to pay over any option cash. I'm jealous!

Fingers crossed for you!

Armstrong Sabian said...

Hey! Congratulations! Coincidentally, I've just picked up the first three issues of your series at my local comic store. I look forward to getting a free moment to read them!

David said...

Congratulations!!!

Tanner said...

Thanks, everyone! Hope you like the issues, AS.

Jason Whiton said...

Happy New Year, Buddy! And congrats on the option. Big news! I hope they make it and do you proud :)

I wrote a lot of short horror comics a couple of years ago. One got published and a bunch were picked up for Western Tales of Terror- but the comic went under early. One just got made into a film by a NYC film student. I'd like to submit work and get the rhythm back up this year. Let me know if you hear of cool anthology projects? Maybe we should start a spy fi one :)

You up for Wondercon? Hope to see you there!

-Jace

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us more about this? I'd like to find out more details.
Also see my page - Scott Tucker Kansas City

Tanner said...

Sadly, like the vast majority of Hollywood options, nothing of substance ended up happening. The option has since lapsed. But maybe something else will happen with the property in the future. In the meantime, go ahead and get the comic! Follow that Amazon link above.

There will, however, be other opportunities to see horror movies I've written! An indie zombie film I co-wrote with Ben Wagner is in post-production right now, and should arrive on the festival circuit in the next six months or so. I'll definitely post news on that when there is some here, so keep your eyes peeled!