May 7, 2010

Network Announces The Saint Soundtrack!

Here's some great news for fans of spy music!  After releasing truly fantastic, multi-disc soundtracks for just about every other ITC show out there, Network has finally gotten around to one of the most demanded series in the library: The Saint.  On May 31, the company will release The Saint: Original Soundtrack, a 4-disc set containing original title and incidental music by Edwin Astley from the color years of the Roger Moore Sixties TV show.  "Added to this," according to Network's copy, "are songs and tunes to fit the flamenco dances and calypsos of bars in South America and the West Indies, as well as the night clubs, hippy parties and pop scene of swinging Sixties London. Including extensive liner notes from archive television historian Andrew Pixley, this set is an essential purchase for all ITC aficionados."  You can certainly say that again!  We got an excellent taste of the music available for The Saint (including some of those "local flavor" tracks and songs) on the fabulous Music of ITC compilation, but many had feared that much of the music was lost.  I'm thrilled that it isn't, and I hope and pray that this release might bode well for Ken Thorne's Persuaders! music as well, even though that has also been said to be mostly lost.  This is a huge release, and I know I'm not alone in saying I can't wait for it.  And, fortunately, we don't have long to wait at all!  The Saint: Original Soundtrack retails for £34.99, but can currently be pre-ordered from Network's website for £29.99.  Hurrah! This news makes my day.

3 comments:

Delmo said...

Our long national nightmare is over-Network FINALLY releases The Saint soundtrack. About frickin' time!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Did you ever do a review of "The Music of ITC" ? Thought you mentioned there was going to be one but can't find it. Great BLOG by the way !!

Tanner said...

Agh! My secret shame. Yes, I did promise such a review, and it tears at me every day that I still haven't gotten around to it. I was actually planning to do it as part of my year-end Best Of, and then what with my holiday travel and being sick for a month, the whole Best Of thing got away from me. I was still hoping to do it as recently as March, but May does seem a bit late for a Best of the previous year list...

For those interested, however, The Music of ITC was my favorite spy CD of the year, Black Dynamite (another title I never even got around to reviewing) was going to be my favorite spy movie and Seductive Espionage: The World of Yuki 7 was going to be my favorite book. I DID review that one, but it's definitely worth reminding people about. Anyone who likes Sixties spy movies will love the book.

Anyway, I WILL still get around to writing about The Music of ITC in some form. I've actually got a few other reviews of some of Network's soundtracks actually written, and I'm just holding off to do a whole week of them together or something like that. Music of ITC (which is a great set) will be in the mix.