Oct 30, 2009

New Trailer For From Paris With Love

We saw an underwhelming European teaser; now the first U.S. trailer is out for Luc Besson's EuropaCorp's latest neo-Eurospy movie, From Paris With Love... and, sadly, it doesn't look much more promising. If only any of the footage lived up to that awesome, awesome teaser poster! Based purely on the footage we've seen in these two trailers, the problem I have is not with Taken director Pierre Morell's direction (the action looks quite cool), but with the lead actors. For some reason both John Travolta and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers sport some odd facial hair. Now I don't mind beards; quite the opposite; I sport one myself. But these particular beards (if they can even be called that) for some reason make the actors in question look especially sleazy. And Travolta's predictably over-the-top performance doesn't help. It's too bad, because I feel like these actors might work fine in this sort of film in more subdued (and clean-cut) performances, but they're not clicking with me as is. Hopefully I'll feel differently when I see the movie. Oh yes, make no mistake; even if the trailers leave me cold, I will be first in line for Besson's latest stab in his single-handed reinvention of the Eurospy genre!

No comments: