Sep 6, 2013

Another Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Trailer

Another week, another new Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV spot... Boy, between these videos and all those bus stop posters that are blanketing cities right now (well, I can speak for L.A. at least; I assume other cities, too), ABC is sure promoting this upcoming comic book-based spy series! This one doesn't add too much new footage, but there is a cool shot of someone dangling from a helicopter that perhaps hints at some of the wild action the old S.H.I.E.L.D. comics by Jim Steranko and Jack Kirby were known for, and one character refers to the Corvette we've seen in previous spots as "one of Coulson's S.H.I.E.L.D. collectibles." Being a fan of those comics, I really hope that means its wheels fold out to become "Mach-pressure fans" turning it into a flying spy car! If so, it's too bad it's not a Porsche 905 or Jaguar XKE as Nick Fury was known to drive in those wonderful Sixties issues, but I do like the idea of working elements of those classic comics in as "S.H.I.E.L.D. collectibles." (In Marvel's The Avengers, it was established that Agent Coulson avidly collects memorabilia related to superhero history, so it would be fairly logical to extend that collection to S.H.I.E.L.D. items of historical significance as well.) As I noted when they released the last trailer, I'm fully aware that this show won't be a direct translation of the 1960s Steranko comics I love so much, but I do hope that it finds clever ways like that to embody their spirit! Those comics themselves, products of that decade's spy craze, owed a lot to James Bond and The Man From U.N.C.L.E., but Jim Steranko mixed in spandex and superheroics and surrealism and psychedelia to create a really unique, anything-goes take on spy-fi. As previously announced, Steranko's entire run on the series (which started out in the anthology comic Strange Tales before graduating to its own title) will be reprinted in a single volume this fall to tie in with the ABC show. For more background on the comic and the history of the fictional spy organization, read my full S.H.I.E.L.D. primer here.

3 comments:

Scott Gray said...

Hi, Mr Tanner!

I was lucky enough to see a preview screening of the opening episode the other day, and I'm happy to report that it's terrific - the perfect blend of action, humour and intrigue. Yes, there are some great Sterankoesque moments in there! We're in safe hands with Joss Whedon, this show is going to be a lot of fun!

Tanner said...

Very glad to hear that! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see those Sterankoesque moments!

Elliot James said...

What the show really needs is the Steranko Nick Fury; at least a couple of episodes. I was a huge fan of the comics. Samuel Jackson is a great actor but he's been the wrong choice for the films.